Sunday, October 25, 2009

Date Peda



After Diwali and savoring all those sweets most of us may have taken the resolution of... Uhem... no more sugar for a while.... Really.... 
And for those of us in West and North America, Halloween is around the corner and kids are all excited about sweets and trick-o-treating. How do we balance our sugar? How about indulging in some healthy treats? How about if it is made with a nutritious ingredient with its all natural sweetness. Umm thats a good idea to trick your Jihva and curb your temptation right!!!

Dates are rich in iron and fiber and are good for heart health.
Since dates are sweet by themselves I did not use any sugar in this recipe. Try and enjoy this treat just anytime or for your next festivity.


Dates on Foodista
Ingredients:
400g- dates
one 14oz can unsweetened condensed milk
2 tbsp maida
2 tbsp ghee
1 tsp cardomon

Method:
Crush the dates to make the cooking easier and faster. (I did by blending them in a food processor lightly in one short run) 
In a large pan heat ghee, stir in the maida and mix well in simmer so that it doesnt brown too much. Now add the dates, condensed milk and cook on medium while stirring constantly. Cook till the mixture blends well and starts to leave the sides. Take off the flame and let cool. Stir in the cardomom powder and mix. When it is warm enough to handle take small portions of mixture into your palm and shape them into balls and pat to make small peda shaped treats. Enjoy!







Rohini from Curries ans Spices has passed me another lovely award. Thank you Rohini for sharing this with me, I am really honoured!



I would like to share this with my blogger friends
Rekha from Plantain leaf
Sreelekha @ Sree's Recipes



33 comments:

  1. congrats on the awards..Way to go dear!!Thank u very much for remembering me and sharing the award..so sweet of u.
    nice peda looks so yummyyyyyyy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dates Peda.. mm New to me..
    Congrats on your award.
    Thanks a lot Raje for Sharing with me... Will collect it soon n post it along with my next post!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on your award dear...........peda looks yummy dear...nice idea to incorporate dates to it...it sound yummy too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummy Dates peda,new to me.Congrats on ur awards and thanks alot for sharing with me:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey there! Great recipe! I just stopped by to let you know that here is another award waiting for you on my blog! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats raje.dates peda looks awesome..I have one in my draft similar to this..will soon post it..urs looks great & delicious dear..:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow peda with dates....great idea dear. Yummy and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dates peda seems a great idea to treat the kids. Very healthy snack and we can munch on any time.
    Congrats on those cute awards dear.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations on the awards!That sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Never tasted dates peda,sounds easy and yumm,Congrats on ur awards...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Divya, Sandhya, Prasu, Sree, Priya
    for lovely comments.
    Thanks Sanjana for sharing the awards with me,so ncie of you; will post them soon.
    Thanks Sangeetha, look forward to your post.
    Thank you Tina, Vicky, Anupama, Erica and Vrinda.
    Vrinda this dish was inspired from a traditional Gujrathi sweet "Khajur-paak" that my sis-in-law once brought from Jamnagar. I cant forget the first time I ate it. It was awesome and wanted to try some more different sweet recipes using dates. This one turned out really good and simple too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mmmm...looks so delicious, wish that I can try some :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I agree and think it's great to also offer some healthy treats on a day surrounded by sugary candies!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey this is something new to me. Looks attractive and mouthwatery too...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! Date peda sounds interesting! Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is new to me..Looks perfect and yummy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congrats on your awards dear !!
    And what a wonderful recipe.. very new to me, will surely try it :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congrats Raje,Peda from Date sounds good,yummy

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow that was a yummy sweet we can indulge without worrying about calories! Thanks dear for sharing it!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. wow thats a lovely sweet dish...never eaten it before..would love to have this one...looks so yum

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Raje,
    Congrats on ur awards!!!!!!!!!!!!1
    Sounds new to me
    A very healhy snack for kids
    Thanks for sharing dear.......

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow!Beautiful!Never ate date pedas but love dates:)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Peda with dates sounds interesting! Looks yummy
    A new comer here .Do vist my blog

    ReplyDelete
  24. Very new recipe ... looks nice in color and yummy and congrats on your awards Raje :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thank you all for your feedback!

    ReplyDelete
  26. You are welcome Annccoo!
    Gina & Aruna, Sure this is the way I can sneak in some nutrients and fill my little ones before they go on that candy munching marathon...
    Welcome Padhu Hope you will find it interesting here!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Never heard abt this..Looks very nice and healthy too :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. congrats on ur award........date peda is new to me...looking yummy and so tempting me...

    ReplyDelete
  29. congrats on ur award dear, peda looks yummy.
    have an awards for u in my blog, plz do collect it

    ReplyDelete
  30. Congrats on your awards dear woow what a healthy recipe looks great

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

Copyright

All the pictures, content, and images are sole property of http://www.raje-s.blogspot.com, unless otherwise mentioned. Permission is required to copy, download or use any text, photographs or image files. Please contact rajeskitchen@gmail.com for all inquiries.

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape